WMF Los Angeles exists to bring hope to marginalized people groups in the city through relationships and asset based community development.
Word Made Flesh LA’s focus in the city will be to establish beloved community in a low-income neighborhood of Long Beach, a city in Los Angeles County. We are reaching out to our neighbors, cultivating relationships and establishing partnerships with local churches and nonprofit organizations. Our desire is to equip and empower community members to transform their city while at the same time being transformed by our neighbors. We hope to sustain long-term roots and develop confidence and trust among people in a city divided by race and economic status.
We plan to…
- Be agents of hope through relationships with those on the margins of society
- Break down barriers that divide people
- Help churches in the city engage more fully with the poor
- Use Asset Based Community Development principles to address the various needs in our community.
We are currently partnering with several local organizations in their work among the vulnerable in our city. Some of those include…
- Fountain of Life Covenant Church
- Kingdom Causes Long Beach
- Precious Lamb Preschool
- 5,000 Pies
Long Beach City Info
Land Size: 51.5 square miles
Median Household income: $52,116
Poverty rate: 20.5% living below the poverty line ($23,550 for a family of 4; more info on what income level is defined as poverty)
Diversity: 28.6% of the city’s population were born in another country, 44.2% of the city’s population do not speak English in the home.
- Hispanic or Latino (of any race): 42.1 percent
- White, non-Hispanic: 28.7 percent
- Asian/Pacific Islander: 12.4 percent
- African-American: 12.9 percent
All statistics taken from city-data.com unless otherwise noted.